Newlyweds are now taking shorter honeymoons than ever – in the past ten years, the honeymoon period has shrunk by half.
A study by hotel booking specialists from LateRooms.com puts the change down to work pressure and rising costs. Is it the work pressure or the cost that is ending the two-week exotic honeymoon? Traditionally, UK couples routinely enjoyed honeymoons lasting two weeks in some of the most exotic locations on earth.
- Estimated number of honeymooners: 1.4 million U.S. couples per year.
- Among couples who choose a traditional wedding, 99 percent take a honeymoon.
- On average, the honeymoon is booked 4 months before the wedding.
- Honeymoons comprise a $12 billion-dollar-a-year industry.
- Couples spend an average of $4,466 on their honeymoon. That’s three times as much as the average U.S. adult spends on a vacation. Luxury honeymooners, which comprise 15% of the market, spend an average of $9,954 and vacation for 11 days.
- The honeymoon, on average, accounts for 14 percent of the wedding budget.
- The length of an average honeymoon is eight days.
- 62% of couples pay for most of their honeymoon on their own.
- 10 percent of newlyweds take cruises for their honeymoon.
- 75% of couples honeymooned in the USA and Canada in the last 5 years.*
- Most popular US honeymoon destinations: Hawaii, Florida, California, Nevada.
- Most popular overseas destinations: Mexico, Jamaica, the Bahamas, Italy, St. Lucia, France, USVI.
- Most popular luxury honeymoon destinations: Europe, Caribbean, Hawaii, South Pacific.
- Only 1 in 4 couples go on their dream honeymoon.
- 80% of honeymooners in the last 5 years used social media to research their destinations.*
- 48% of honeymooners visit Facebook while away.
Sited directly from honeymoons.about.com